Between 1881 and 1897 the malt house was built on behalf of Richard Roesicke, the founder of the Schultheiss brewery. The castle-like brick buildings are striking evidence of the industrial architecture of the late 19th Century. Until 1945 the factory produced per year 150 000 quintals roasted malt for beer production. The DDR used the building and then, since the reunification, the building stood empty and increasingly decayed.
Now it has been renewed and most of the buildings are appartments.