Frankfurter Tor (Gate) is also part of the Stalinbau program, started after the end of the WWII by the DDR in Berlin.
The square was named after the 18th century city gate (first made of wood, then by stone) on the road to Frankfurt (Oder), which however was located 800 meters westwards near Weberwiese station.
The design for the building was by architect Hermann Henselmann who emerged in 1953 as the winner of a competition. The idea of the competition was quite strict: people coming from East (Russia and Poland) must have the feeling of an entrance to a monumental city, always in the idea of a flagship building project of East Germany's reconstruction programme after World War II. (See Stalinbau).
The prominent twin towers were built between 1953 and 1956 resembling the two cathedrals on Gendarmenmarkt.
More infos: WIKI (german)
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "