At the end of the WWII, Mitte and Friedrichhain were severely damaged and inside the Soviet zone, directly on the way from Germany to Russia.
This monumental socialist boulevard was built by the DDR between 1952 and 1960, it was named Stalinallee between 1949 and 1961 and was a flagship building project of East Germany's reconstruction programme after World War II.
Workers from all around europe were called to help, a lot of women (Trümmerfrauen) took on the gruelling task of clearing the debris that once choked the city, in order to build this new dream of palaces for the working class.
“Bau auf! bau auf! bau auf! bau auf! Freie Deutsche Jugend Bau auf! Fur eine bessere Zukunft, bauern wir die Heimat auf… ” (“Build up, build up, build up, build up! Free German Youth build up! For a better future, we are building the homeland up…”) [The women who raised the rubble]
Most of the buildings are covered by architectural ceramics, the first buildings coming from Alexanderplatz are built with more details and the last ones, as long the rear courtyards, have less.
On June 17, 1953 the Stalinallee became the focus of a worker uprising which endangered the young state's existence. Builders and construction workers demonstrated against the communist government, leading to a national uprising. The rebellion was quashed with Soviet tanks and troops, resulting in the loss of at least 125 lives.
Going on with the years, with the De-Stalinization, the monument to Stalin disappears and the name was changed to Karl-Marx-Strasse.
More infos: WIKI
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "