Along with the StadtBad - Prenzlauer Berg (which has been recently restored), the swimming pool of Wedding was built by the same architect.
The building was commissioned by the municipality of Wedding offering to the rapidly growing population swimming and sports. The blueprints for the public baths provided by the architect Ludwig Hoffmann, who had drafted in other municipal buildings. In 1907, the facility was officially opened. Its main components are two swimming pools, according to their dimensions were referred to as "Small Hall" and the "Great Hall". For the first time was in Berlin, there was a separate use for women and men. In addition, there was a pure bath department and changing facilities. The original architecture was similar to Stadtbad Oderberger Street, which was previously developed by Hoffmann's plans. At the end of World War II, the main building was destroyed at the Court Street.
In the late 1950s, was the former county Wedding build the main structure while maintaining the foundation walls and the dimensions in the spirit of the times.
After decades of intensive use it had to close the public beach of structural and sanitary reasons in 1999. The plant was initially empty for several years while it was being offered for sale. From 2009 to 2014 has been used for short-term temporary cultural projects.
The swimming pool is not closed.
More infos: WIKI (german)
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "