Charlottenburg Gate is a Neo-Baroque building erected in 1907 at the behest of the then independent City of Charlottenburg, it was meant as a counterpart to Berlin's Brandenburg Gate.
In the course of the Nazi plans for a new Berlin city (Germania), Adolf Hitler's chief architect Albert Speer in 1937 ordered the Charlottenburger Chaussee road widened to a "East-West-Axis". To enable a continuous view on street level, the bridge was flattened and broadened.
Charlottenburg Gate and its surrounds were heavily damaged during World War II and the final Battle of Berlin, when in April 1945 forces of the Polish 1st Infantry Division, pushing eastwards to the Berlin city centre, fought against retiring Wehrmacht troops.
In 1970, Charlottenburg Gate and its surrounds have been restored in their 1930s position.
More infos: WIKI
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "