This sculpture has been made to remember the Treblinka Extermination Camp, part of the Operation Reinhard, with almost 1 million people killed between 1942 and 1943 among Jews and Romani people.
The camp was run by German SS and Eastern European Trawnikis.
Killing operations at Treblinka II were ended on October 19, 1943, following a revolt by its Sonderkommandos. Several German guards were killed when 300 prisoners escaped. The camp was then dismantled and a farmhouse was built in an attempt to hide the evidence of genocide.
Map: google maps
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "