The Allied Kommandatura was the governing body for the city of Berlin following Germany's defeat in World War II. The victorious allied powers established control of post-war Germany and other territories via shared Military Government councils, including for Berlin. The Kommandatura was often known as the little brother to the Allied Control Council, which had the same function for the whole of Germany, and was subordinate to it. It originally comprised representatives from the United States, the United Kingdom, and the Soviet Union but later included France.
In 1948 The Soviet Union lowered the red flag, removed its files, and the Soviets were gone for good.
The building was formerly the administration building for Public Fire Insurance Carriers in Germany. It was designed by Heinrich Straumer (the same designer and builder of the Funkturm Berlin - full reportage Here), and was built between 1926-1927. Since 1994 it has been used as the office of the President of the Free University of Berlin.
More infos: WIKI
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "