Berlin is a well known city of doubles, due to its history and when the city was divided in 1955 in the Soviet Sector they open a new zoo at the presence of Wilhelm Pieck (the first President of DDR) in an area of 160 hectares (is the largest landscape zoo in Europe). The initial herd consisted of some shopping together primarily by donations from the people and companies in the DDR.
The houses of the animals are still original from the DDR time as well as the statues in the park an the paintings.
After Die Wende, the zoo has been unified with the Berlin Zoo.
More infos: WIKI
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "