The German Experimental Institute for Aviation (DVL) was founded in April 1912 after the one in Göttingen of 1907. The Institute was using the Wind Tunnel to make experiments but then it was moved to Cologne and Braunschweig, so that this place has not been used for a long time.
In the context of Deutschen Zentrums für Luft- und Raumfahrt’s initiatives to promote young research talent, ten School Labs were set up in Germany and one is here in the area. In the School Labs, school pupils can become acquainted with the practical aspects of natural and engineering sciences by conducting interesting experiments.
The structures (among the aviation facilities there's also an open air bunker) are massive blocks of concrete that can be eventually visited once for year when the open doors initiaves are runned in Berlin.
More infos: WIKI (german)
All images are under CC Creative Commons (Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works), please refer to " darioj laganà | www.norte.it "